Sunday, May 25, 2014

Wasfuersohr Mailbag [June 2014]

Mailbag time! This blog is about free music and bands who take the time to contact me shouldn't be ignored. Lots of interesting music out there, and unfortunately we don't have the time to cover everything. This section is devoted to bands who contacted us and other bands we've found but couldn't write a review for. Click the album picture for the Bandpage.
Impressions

2Nerd - BOSQ:
Chiptunes

I've never liked chiptunes, this is simple fact of life. But damn if BOSQ doesn't change all that. There's just something about this particular EP, it doesn't sound like a gimmick, like someone trying to sound like a videogame soundtrack gone rogue. No, BOSQ is what happens when some takes a Gameboy and makes music from it. It's still twitchy and 8bit, but it sounds so much more.
                             ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing But Hope And Passion - Nothing But Spring:
Alternative

This popped into my email just when I needed it most. A compilation album of indie music spanning several different genres (pop, rock, electronic, folk, and so forth) that provided me with a much needed uplifting shot in the arm. I don't bring it out often, but it has staying power and I'll always bring it out when A) I need a pick me up, and B) when it's bright and sunny already because it's infectious.

                             ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Helvetica Syndrome - A Closed Counterform:
Synthwave

Did you really think I'd be bale to go this long without coming across more synthwave that tickled my musically fancy? Well A Closed Counterform is a quick shot of the good stuff, and I do mean quick, this EP is a little over 10 or so minutes of synthesizers and drum machines (especially on Sun of the Sand, oh my!). Yes, I unabashedly like the musical sounds of a made-up version of three decades ago. And you should too. Mulroney be damned!

                             ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment