Saturday, May 17, 2014

SNOWMINE - 2011 - LAMINATE PET ANIMAL

Ambient Indie Pop
[FOR FREE]
<a href="http://snowmine.bandcamp.com/album/laminate-pet-animal"
  • 9 songs to download
  • You name the price (min 0,-)
  • You get the link if you register your email address
  • Listening recommendations: Beast In Air Beast In Water, Penny, Let Me In
  • If you liked the free record, you can grab a more recent release from their website with an interesting self-publishing/fan-funding concept which I fully support: http://www.snowmine.com/
Impressions
I frequently consider whether I should just make a clean slate with the old albums that were still waiting for reviews and every single time I dig one of these up, I find myself reassured that it would an outright horrible idea to do so. Snowmine is making great music, and is one of those bands where it is unclear to me how they are not more popular, even if they are easily among the best known bands on the blog. Varied and catchy instrumentation that you'll hum and sing along with on your second listen, genuinely interesting and intelligently arranged lyrics and a likeable voice make this a no brainer for anyone remotely interested in the genre. They did an incredibly good job at making all songs feel different, which makes it very easy to keep listening to the album over and over again. If you like this album, I highly recommend downloading the other EPs on their Bandcamp page and add these tracks to your track rotation. Due to that variation, not all tracks are of the same high quality, but the ones that are, are hymns to the emotions in life that make life feel worth living.
Music is best when evoking thoughts, emotions and creativity and Laminate Pet Animal is one of those records which brings me down to earth, lets me dream of the sky and motivate me to get to work on stuff that was neglected for way too long. With that thought, I'll close these impressions and look forward to the next hidden gems that are waiting for me.

1 comment: