Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Phantom Power - 2013 - Static States


Chillwave
[FOR FREE]
<a href="http://phantompower.bandcamp.com/album/static-states"
Impressions
Bliss with a hook. That’s ultimately the majority of what I hear in Static States. Interpol (Turn on the Bright Lights) vibes ringing all around surround the listener with calm, night-time city senses. I feel at peace, captivated by the subtlety of sonic perfection. The double layered vocals provide a sense of comfort and relief as they slowly guide what could be the best and most appropriate bass lines I’ve ever heard by a record of this style. Whether the bass is pounding [off the beat] like part of a heavy, vintage drum kit or reeling in with lovable lines [on the beat] like ushering a ghost through NYC’s dirty streets, I was amazed at how deeply influential these low frequency dances were. Keyboard fills up the ears with warm and wavy strokes, and creates the brighter colors, if Static States were a painting; and light guitar presented in a variety of styles sends chills of fond memories. It’s almost a crime to analyze Static States instrument by instrument because flow of noise and mastering are superb. There’s a laid-back aesthetic laying down almost romantic feelings, like wanting to go back to sleep just to dream of that special person. The slight lo-fi quality is what sold me the most, and I usually don’t consider recording quality. But how could I not when it’s so appropriately thick? It’s mixed very professionally but feels like everything was recorded in a cramped bedroom. It’s most nearly that which allowed me to call this my own music, so to speak. One of the best finds I’ve found on this website, by far.

No comments:

Post a Comment